Monday, March 23, 2009

A Moment in Solitude

Spring is upon us, and throughout much of the country at 5 in the afternoon, many people are just getting out of work, rushing home to family - talking on cell phones - trying to figure out what to make for dinner. In some families arguing is erupting, and stress is at an all time high. Fatigue from the long, hard day is setting in. Let's switch gears.




My kids just walked in the door. Their school day has ended. There is a light breeze flowing through the window of my home office and in the distance the ice cream truck is beginning his rounds. The wind caresses my cheek - I turn the a/c off during the day to conserve energy. My chimes are gently bumping eachother and the evening birds are singing ever so merrily outside. They are awaiting their sunset sorjoun towards the inner part of town to nest.




As my daughter came through the door today, she related to me the horrific trials of her day. I sat in astonishment and listened as teenage friends were discussing suicide, and depression, and each of her friends turn to her for help. She is overwhelmed. She is heading to meditate.




We are toiling in a society of teens who too quickly reach for instantaeous gratification, and have become so self absorbed - without recognition of the consequences to their own spiritual growth and those around them. But, this is yet, for another day.




As I now find myself finally in my moment of solitude, recalling the conversation; thinking about the rest of women and men my age, going home to their families, I marvel at the moment that you are taking at reading this.




There is a photo posted below....

Take some time.... your moment of solitude, and focus on this image. Look at the small, crisp blades of life still in the tips of the plant, and the absolute beauty of the snow as it ever so gently lays upon it.



In the background, notice how softly, and gently, and you can almost sense, how quietly, the snow is falling.

It's with moments like these, and images like this, that remind me there is hope. Whenever the wind makes it in through the window, and caresses my cheek during the day, I feel like it's God, just stopping by, to say hello.


When the kids are presenting challenges, or life is tossing deadlines, just remember that it will ALL be there tomorrow. Take your moment now, and spend a few minutes with yourself, or your loved one. Once you have your moment of solitude, you can close your eyes for a few minutes, stretch, refresh your mind, if you are religous, you might pray for strength, encouragement, or guidance. I know from experience, you will have more energy to finish out the rest of the day and evening with a better positive mental attitude. You benefit yourself, and those around you! Hey, it's only five minutes.... Aren't YOU worth it?


I'm outta here for today--


Time to go be a mom! I have this nutty dog looking at me like she's never been fed!


C'ya all on the flip side!

















No comments:

Post a Comment