Sunday, September 13, 2009

Is Tap Water Really Safe?

by: Rachelle Cross-Navarro

Is Tap Water Really Safe?

There has been a great deal of controversy regarding the water we drink. How are we to know who is telling us the truth about what we put into our bodies, and who is taking our hard earned money? I don't know about you, but I'm sure ready to find out the truth about things before I pour another cent down the drain, or, into another so called 'spring fed' bottle. So, what is the truth?
There are pros and cons for both bottled water and tap water. I'm going to address both issues; then, I'm going to tell you what I found out when I interviewed the local utility company engineer and examined water reports. This is a study that I have been doing for nearly six months, and the results are unanimous so far. I say this because science is always introducing new products to enhance our health, and at the time of this publication, there may be a product that I am not familiar with, or have not tested.
The problem with bottled water is that even though bottled water advertises that it healther for people, it really isn't. All utlities must chlorinate and treat any consumable water. In the reports I have found, all the bottled water manufacturers do is filter tap water through their facilities then bottle it. Now there is evidence that heat leaches through the plastic and into the water, and causes a bacteria that can actually cause illness down the road.
If you think about it, that does make sense. Open a bottle of water and let some oxygen in, then reseal it, or just let it sit a few days. What happens? Do you want to go back and drink it? How does it taste? Have I made my point? Yes, all water stagnates, but water that has been sitting in plastic tends to pull particles of the plastic into it, which it what makes bottled water more unsafe because it sits in the stores, and in transit.
One of my concerns with tap water was the gross thought of water coming through the city pipes, covered in muck, rust, lime, scale, and god-knows-what. Then, the water travels in through my home, through THOSE pipes, and hunny, I'VE smelled what comes out of those pipes (until I discovered salt and vinegar!) ...
So I asked an engineer in water distribution how is it that tap water is supposed to be safer than bottled water?? I truly wanted an answer to this question!
The response has been that the water is very chemically treated for one. Well, we know that! Two, it travels at such a high velocity that it doesn't have time to sit in the pipes and pick up the debris 'in the pipes.' Okay, that makes sense. However, the engineer did recommend that instead of throwing money away on bottled water, invest in a good quality water filter to attach to your kitchen sink.
The water in your homes is safe to drink, it is just as consumable as the bottled water you buy in the store, and with a good filter you can economize and put that $10-15 a week away for a nice gift. It adds up! For more information, you can email me at MissionLight@satx.rr.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment